I’ve written negative experiences about driving. Loved ones have yelled at countless times for my driving skills. Also, I’ve written my fears I on turning left at an unprotected turn light. Despite these negative experiences, there are positives to driving.
- Driving gives me space to talk to myself about hypothetical situations that I am not ready to talk to in front of others. For instance, I talk to myself about writing and what potential projects I have planned. Also, I think about characters that I’m creating and what their personalities.
- It gives me space to have imaginary conversations with people I haven’t spoken to in a while. It’s silly, but it provides comfort and some company when I’m driving at night. The people I have imaginary conversations with are former friends, acquaintances, and people who have hurt me in the past. It may not provide “closure,” but sometimes it’s fun to wonder where the conversation will go if it were to happen.
- When I’m listening to music on the radio or from my phone, and my favorite song or tune comes on, I create choreography and imagine the movements, the dancers, and the setting where it would take place. I often did this when I was younger and a passenger. Classical music would come on, and the dance creation would begin in my head.
- I’ve vented and cried many times during my times in the car. Since I’m often by myself when driving, there is no one judging or scolding me about my tears. Also, it helps me improve on my self-soothing skills and helps me rely less on others for comfort.
- Driving is meditative, and if I don’t put the music on, it helps me practice being present. I don’t dwell on the past or worry about the future. I just am.
Driving is one of those actions that many people, including myself, take for granted. But being in that space and just focusing on the road, has helped my mental health immensely and stirred my creative juices.
By Nicholas A. Tonelli from Pennsylvania, USA (Open Road) [CC BY 2.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0)], via Wikimedia Commons